Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Eavesdropping

If you were a "fly on the wall"......or better yet a "mosquito", recently you would have overheard some of the following as we traveled around. Keep in mind some of the villages have limited overnight accommodations and eating establishments.

Are the rooms self-contained? (meaning are there bathrooms in each room)
There is no electricity tonight.
There is no water tonight.
There is no HOT water tonight.
There is hot water....just no cold.
I would call that shower a "dribble".
There is no restaurant in the village.
Where can I find a lady who can cook for me tonight?
Your meal will take a while, she has gone to find a chicken.
There is no separate shower in the bathroom..........it's all one big room.
The water hasn't drained yet...... from the room where the shower is not separate
Is there secure parking?..........meaning "Is there a guard, who will probably be sleeping through the night, but who is actually paid to guard the cars?
There is a problem with TANESCO (national electricity company)....we have electricity, but no A/C....... in 87 degree weather, 87% humidity............and the windows don't open.
Your menu choices are: chicken and ugali, chicken and rice, chicken and chips, beef and ugali, beef and rice, or beef and chips. OK, I'll have the beef and rice. Sorry, there is no beef tonight.

And my favorite.....
I don't care if the room is only 15,000 tsh ($11.49) per night......
I will sleep in the truck before I sleep in that place.

No comments: